Don’t be intimated by it’s name. ‘Pesce Al Forno’ is an easy classic Italian fish recipe with veggies and delicious white wine, butter and lemon sauce. Essentially it is just a tray bake, with a white fish fillet as it’s star, served with potatoes, cherry tomatoes, shallots and capers; all swimming in an silky white wine, butter, lemon and parsley sauce. I have used a sole fillet for this one, but you could try it with any firm white fish [like haddock, grouper, halibut, tilapia or pollock]. Go with what ever is freshest down at your local fishmonger.
It really is not as hard as it looks, and it will definitely impress your guests. A great dish for when you want to serve something that looks like you have made a special effort, when really it’s so simple and can be made in 30 minutes.
Serve with warm focaccia bread to mop up all that delicious wine and butter sauce.
- 2 Firm white boneless fish fillet
- x3 Cloves Garlic [minced]
- 50gr Cherry tomatoes
- 100gr Baking potatoes [pealed,chopped into same size as tomatoes]
- 50gr Pealed whole shallots
- 20gr Capers
- 20gr Black olives
- 1 Juice of a whole lemon
- 100gr Dry white wine
- 20gr Unsalted butter
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Ground Pepper, season to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F.
- Season the fish fillets with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, 4-6 tspn lemon juice [a good squeeze].
- Boil the potatoes in salted water, until half cooked.
- In an oven-friendly frying pan, sauté the minced garlic in olive oil. Add the potatoes, whole pealed shallots, cherry tomatoes, olives and capers in a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil.
- When the vegetables have softened, clear some space in the middle of the pan, carefully add the fish fillets.
- Place the pan in the pre heated oven, approx. 5-10 mins [will depend on fish fillet thickness].
- Remove the pan from the oven. Gently lift out the fish fillets, place them in the middle of your serving plate.
- Surround the fish with the potato, tomatoes, olives, shallots and capers.
- Return the pan with the olive oil back to the hob on high heat, and pour in the white wine. Stir, allow the white wine to reduce by half.
- Add the chopped parsley, butter and rest of the lemon juice, simmer for a few minutes on med-high heat.
- Taste the sauce, season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the sauce carefully over the plated fish and vegetables.